Don’t miss out on one of New York City’s most iconic and cherished holiday traditions, The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony! Annually, this event brings in thousands of New Yorkers and tourists alike to watch as over 50,000 lights brighten up the city center on an 80-foot Norway Spruce. This beautiful tree is topped with a three-dimensional Swarovski star, weighing approximately 900 pounds, and features 70 spikes covered in three million crystals. It’s really a sight to see!
Some History on The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
The first tree to go up in Rockefeller Center was in 1931. Rockefeller Center workers pooled their money together for a 20-foot balsam fir, and their families decorated the tree with homemade decorations. Two years later, in 1933, the first tree lighting ceremony took place, and it was officially an annual tradition that has stood the test of time almost a century later.
All The Christmas Tree Viewing Details
The Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting ceremony will happen on Wednesday, November 29th, at Rockefeller Center located at 30 Rockefeller Center, New York, NY.
The host of the show this year will be Kelly Clarkson. She will be joined by Savannah Guthrie, Hoda Kotb, Al Roker, and Craig Melvin of NBC’s The TODAY Show. More performers will be announced.
The tree will stay up from November 29th to January 13th and will be lit daily from 5:00 am to midnight. On Christmas Day, the tree stays lit for 24 hours. There’s plenty of time to visit the tree if you can’t make the ceremony.
Rockefeller Center offers many different options to view and enjoy their stunning Christmas Tree. Please note that these ticketing options span the entire time the tree is up, not just the day of the ceremony. Ceremony day tickets are limited. Be sure to choose a date and time based on your own availability. To buy tickets, click HERE.
- General Admission- The Rink: Your general admission ticket guarantees you a spot on the ice for the date/time you selected.
- General Admission - Top of the Rock: Check out the views of the tree and NYC from 70 floors up on their indoor and outdoor observation decks.
- Rinkside Chalets: This 50-minute reservation offers your own private Après Skate Chalet with food and beverage service overlooking the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and famous ice rink.
- Christmas Tree Photo: You’ll want to capture the beauty of the iconic Christmas Tree with a professional photo of you and your family while visiting Rockefeller Center. This includes a digital photo package.
- The Ultimate Rockefeller Center Christmas Experience: This guided VIP tour is the ultimate holiday experience at Rockefeller Center. Included in your tour is a visit to the Top of the Rock, followed by snacks and drinks in a private rinkside chalet beneath the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and skating on the ice rink. To complete your experience, you’ll head over to Center Plaza, reserved only for you and your loved ones, for some Christmas Tree photos.
It’s officially “the most wonderful time of the year,” and this annual holiday tradition is one you won’t want to miss. If you’re looking for a magical event to do this Christmas season, be sure to check out the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. And speaking of NYC events, trust EMRG Media with all your event planning efforts!