Of all the New Year’s Eve celebrations that take place around the world, none are more iconic than the Ball Drop in New York’s Times Square. Whether this year marks your first venture into the hustle and bustle of holiday festivities or you’re an avid NYE in Times Square partygoer, these are the details to know about this year’s itinerary.
Thousands Are Coming, So Plan Ahead
You’ll want to plan ahead if you intend to join the New Year’s Eve party in Times Square and watch the Ball Drop. Officially, the ball drops at One Times Square building. And while the countdown begins at 11:59 PM on December 31st, you’ll want to arrive much earlier than that to have a great view.
Most tourists and visitors start arriving in the morning. And it’s recommended that you find your way to your best spot by 1:00 or 2:00 PM. By then, the public space has typically reached capacity. Here’s another caveat to note - participants are allowed to leave the area, but re-entry is not permitted.
Designated Entry Points:
- At 6th Avenue: 38th, 49th, 52nd, 54th, 58th, & 59th streets
- At 7th Avenue: 37th & 57th streets
- At 8th Avenue: 38th, 49th, 52nd, 55th, 58th & 59th streets
- At Broadway: 37th & 57th streets
What First-Timers Need to Know
New Year’s Eve in Times Square is always FREE. Don’t be scammed into buying on-the-spot tickets. Here are some other tips for first-time NYE partygoers should know:
- Don’t use the Times Square – 42 Street Station.
- Dress appropriately for long hours in the cold.
- Arrive early and well in advance.
- Make reservations wherever you plan to eat and stay.
- Charge your devices so you capture every moment.
- Take only a small bag or backpack and no alcohol.
- Pack a snack since you won't be able to leave.
Where to Watch If You’re Not Attending
If you’re not planning to brave the crowds but still want to enjoy the 60-second Ball Drop excitement, watch from home! You can find most local broadcast stations with coverage of the festivities. And you can join via the Live Stream happening officially at 11:55 PM on December 31st.
Everything about the New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square is exciting. From celebrity performances to a high-energy countdown atmosphere, it's always an experience to remember. Just be prepared for an all-day adventure, and make sure you have what you need to truly enjoy yourself.
Here's to welcoming 2024 and to another prosperous year! No one parties quite like New York City. And no one knows party planning quite like EMRG Media.